public inbox for [email protected]
* Re: [RFC] a new way to achieve asynchronous IO
       [not found]     ` <[email protected]>
@ 2022-06-27  7:11       ` Hao Xu
From: Hao Xu @ 2022-06-27  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jens Axboe, io-uring; +Cc: Pavel Begunkov, dvernet

On 6/23/22 22:08, Jens Axboe wrote:
> On 6/23/22 7:31 AM, Hao Xu wrote:

>>> One thing I've always wanted to try out is kind of similar to this, but
>>> a superset of it. Basically io-wq isn't an explicit offload mechanism,
>>> it just happens automatically if the issue blocks. This applies to both
>>> SQPOLL and non-SQPOLL.
>>>
>>> This takes a page out of the old syslet/threadlet that Ingo Molnar did
>>> way back in the day [1], but it never really went anywhere. But the
>>> pass-on-block primitive would apply very nice to io_uring.
>>
>> I've read a part of the syslet/threadlet patchset, seems it has
>> something that I need, my first idea about the new iowq offload is
>> just like syslet----if blocked, trigger a new worker, deliver the
>> context to it, and then update the current context so that we return
>> to the place of sqe submission. But I just didn't know how to do it.
>
> Exactly, what you mentioned was very close to what I had considered in
> the past, and what the syslet/threadlet attempted to do. Except it flips
> it upside down a bit, which I do think is probably the saner way to do
> it rather than have the original block and fork a new one.
>
>> By the way, may I ask why the syslet/threadlet is not merged to the
>> mainline. The mail thread is very long, haven't gotten a chance to
>> read all of it.
>
> Not quite sure, it's been a long time. IMHO it's a good idea looking for
> the right interface, which we now have. So the time may be ripe to do
> something like this, finally.

I've been blocked by an issue:
if we deliver context from task a to b, we may have no ways to wake it
up... because when the resource which blocks a is released by another
task like c, c wakes up a, not b.
If we want to make it work, we have to deliver the struct task_struct
as well. That means the original task uses a new task_struct and the
new task uses the old one. And in the meanwhile we have to maintain
the pid, parent task .etc stuff.(since we swap the task_struct, the
pid and other stuff also changed).
Any thoughts?

>> For the approach I posted, I found it is actually SQPOLL-nonrelated.
>> The original conext just wake up a worker in the pool to do the
>> submission, and if one blocks, another one wakes up to do the
>> submission. It is definitely easier to implement than something like
>> syslet(context delivery) since the new worker naturally goes to the
>> place of submission thus no context delivery needed. but a downside is
>> every time we call io_uring_enter to submit a batch of sqes, there is a
>> wakeup at the beginning.
>>
>> I'll try if I can implement a context delivery version.
>
> Sounds good, thanks.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2022-06-27  7:11 UTC | newest]