public inbox for [email protected]
From: Dmitry Vyukov <[email protected]>
To: Jens Axboe <[email protected]>
Cc: Hao Xu <[email protected]>,
	syzbot <[email protected]>,
	[email protected], [email protected],
	[email protected], [email protected]
Subject: Re: [syzbot] UBSAN: array-index-out-of-bounds in io_submit_sqes
Date: Tue, 31 May 2022 11:14:04 +0200	[thread overview]

On Tue, 31 May 2022 at 11:07, Jens Axboe <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 5/31/22 3:05 AM, Dmitry Vyukov wrote:

> >> Yeah that's what I did, just rebased it to get rid of it:
> >>
> >> https://git.kernel.dk/cgit/linux-block/commit/?h=io_uring-5.19&id=fcde59feb1affb6d56aecadc3868df4631480da5
> >
> > If you are rebasing it, please add the following tag so that the bug
> > is closed later:
> >
> > Tested-by: [email protected]
>
> Sorry, missed that, would be a bit confusing?

Why confusing? It tested it, no?

> 5.20 branch is rebased
> on top of that too. Can we just do:
>
> #syz fix: io_uring: add io_op_defs 'def' pointer in req init and issue
>
> ?

In most cases it will work. However, there is no way to distinguish
unfixed and fixed versions of the patch based on the title.
So if the unfixed version manages to reach all syzbot builds, it will
close the bug at that point. And then can start reporting duplicates
since the bug is still present. But practically unlikely to happen.
The tag allows to distinguish unfixed and fixed versions of the patch,
so it will work reliably w/o possible duplicates.