On Fri, Jul 01, 2022 at 07:52:31AM +0900, Dominique Martinet wrote: > Stefano Garzarella wrote on Thu, Jun 30, 2022 at 05:49:21PM +0200: > > > so when we ask for more we issue an extra short reads, making sure we go > > > through the two short reads path. > > > (Unfortunately I wasn't quite sure what to fiddle with to issue short > > > reads in the first place, I tried cutting one of the iovs short in > > > luring_do_submit() but I must not have been doing it properly as I ended > > > up with 0 return values which are handled by filling in with 0 (reads > > > after eof) and that didn't work well) > > > > Do you remember the kernel version where you first saw these problems? > > Since you're quoting my paragraph about testing two short reads, I've > never seen any that I know of; but there's also no reason these couldn't > happen. > > Single short reads have been happening for me with O_DIRECT (cache=none) > on btrfs for a while, but unfortunately I cannot remember which was the > first kernel I've seen this on -- I think rather than a kernel update it > was due to file manipulations that made the file eligible for short > reads in the first place (I started running deduplication on the backing > file) > > The older kernel I have installed right now is 5.16 and that can > reproduce it -- I'll give my laptop some work over the weekend to test > still maintained stable branches if that's useful. Hi Dominique, Linux 5.16 contains commit 9d93a3f5a0c ("io_uring: punt short reads to async context"). The comment above QEMU's luring_resubmit_short_read() claims that short reads are a bug that was fixed by Linux commit 9d93a3f5a0c. If the comment is inaccurate it needs to be fixed. Maybe short writes need to be handled too. I have CCed Jens and the io_uring mailing list to clarify: 1. Are short IORING_OP_READV reads possible on files/block devices? 2. Are short IORING_OP_WRITEV writes possible on files/block devices? Thanks, Stefan