Am 07.11.20 um 17:07 schrieb Pavel Begunkov: > On 07/11/2020 16:02, Pavel Begunkov wrote: >> On 07/11/2020 13:46, Stefan Metzmacher wrote: >>> Hi Pavel, >>> >>>> We don't even allow not plain data msg_control, which is disallowed in __sys_{send,revb}msg_sock(). >>> >>> Can't we better remove these checks and allow msg_control? >>> For me it's a limitation that I would like to be removed. >> >> We can grab fs only in specific situations as you mentioned, by e.g. >> adding a switch(opcode) in io_prep_async_work(), but that's the easy >> part. All msg_control should be dealt one by one as they do different >> things. And it's not the fact that they ever require fs. > > BTW, Jens mentioned that there is a queued patch that allows plain > data msg_control. Are those not enough? You mean the PROTO_CMSG_DATA_ONLY check? It's not perfect, but better than nothing for a start. But as far as I can see this is only in the recvmsg path, I'd need it for sendmsg. Can this be fixed? It would also be great to have a way to detect support for this from userspace. It would also be great to somehow fill in .msg_iocb and handle -EIOCBQUEUED from a socket and let a iocb->ki_complete() function to be called in order to handle completions. metze