On Tue, Jun 20, 2023 at 09:39:46PM +0700, Alviro Iskandar Setiawan wrote: > Hello Stefan, > > On Tue, Jun 20, 2023 at 8:32 PM Stefan Hajnoczi wrote: > > This is caused by the stack protector compiler options, which depend on > > the libc __stack_chk_fail_local symbol. > > liburing itself explicitly disables the stack protector, even when > compiled with libc. You customize the build and use something that > needs libc (stack protector). So I would say liburing upstream has > taken care of this problem in the normal build. Do you mean this: src/Makefile:CFLAGS ?= -g -O3 -Wall -Wextra -fno-stack-protector ? CFLAGS is set in the rpmbuild environment and therefore the ?= operator has no effect. Here is the build log: https://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org//packages/liburing/2.4/2.fc38/data/logs/i686/build.log If -fno-stack-protector is required, then the build system should fail and let the user know that an unsupported flag was detected instead of silently allowing an unsupported flag. > > > The compile_prog check in ./configure should use the final > > CFLAGS/LDFLAGS (including -ffreestanding) that liburing is compiled with > > to avoid false positives. That way it can detect that nolibc won't work > > with these compiler options and fall back to using libc. > > > > In general, I'm concerned that nolibc is fragile because the toolchain > > and libc sometimes have dependencies that are activated by certain > > compiler options. Some users will want libc and others will not. Maybe > > make it an explicit option instead of probing? > > I'm not sure it's worth using libc in liburing (x86(-64) and aarch64) > just to activate the stack protector. Do you have other convincing use > cases where libc is strictly needed on architectures that support > liburing nolibc? libc isn't strictly needed for stack protector. liburing could go further down the path of duplicating libc symbols and implement __stack_chk_fail_local itself. However, I don't understand the reason for nolibc in the first place. Is it because liburing is used by non-C languages where libc conflicts with their runtime environment/library? I'm surprised by that since FFI-friendly languages should be used to the presence of libc. Also, I'm not sure why liburing.so should be nolibc for this use case, since there is liburing-ffi.so specifically for FFI users. > I think using stack protector for liburing is just too overkill, but I > may be wrong, please tell me a good reason for using it in liburing. I think that should be left up to packagers. Some distributions may want to compile with a standard set of hardening options. I'm not sure what the justification for making an exception for liburing should be? Security folks won't be happy :). > I admit that nolibc brings problems. For example, the memset() issue > on aarch64 recently (it's fixed). If you have similar problems, please > tell. We probably should consider bringing back the "--nolibc" option > in the "./configure" file? I don't have a strong opinion on the solution here, just that liburing should compile successfully. Thanks, Stefan