public inbox for [email protected]
From: Avi Kivity <[email protected]>
To: Hao Xu <[email protected]>, [email protected]
Subject: Re: memory access op ideas
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 19:14:54 +0300	[thread overview]

On 22/04/2022 15.52, Hao Xu wrote:
> Hi Avi,
> 在 4/13/22 6:33 PM, Avi Kivity 写道:
>> Unfortunately, only ideas, no patches. But at least the first seems
>> very easy.
>>

>> - IORING_OP_MEMCPY_IMMEDIATE - copy some payload included in the op
>> itself (1-8 bytes) to a user memory location specified by the op.
>>

>> Linked to another op, this can generate an in-memory notification
>> useful for busy-waiters or the UMWAIT instruction
>>

>> This would be useful for Seastar, which looks at a timer-managed
>> memory location to check when to break computation loops.
>>

>> - IORING_OP_MEMCPY - asynchronously copy memory
>>

>> Some CPUs include a DMA engine, and io_uring is a perfect interface
>> to exercise it. It may be difficult to find space for two iovecs though.
>
> I have a question about the 'DMA' here, do you mean DMA device for
> memory copy?

Yes. I understand some Intel server processors have them.

> My understanding is you want async memcpy so that the
> cpu can relax when the specific hardware is doing memory copy. the
> thing is for cases like busy waiting or UMAIT, the length of the memory
> to be copied is usually small(otherwise we don't use busy waiting or
> UMAIT, right?). Then making it async by io_uring's iowq may introduce
> much more overhead(the context switch).

These are two separate cases.

1. Bulk data copies (usually large), use DMA

2. small memory writes to wake up a thread that is using UMWAIT or
busy-polling, do not use DMA

Whether to use DMA or not can be based on writes size. I'd say anything
<= 512 bytes should be done by the CPU.